Thursday, April 05, 2012

Dandelions and all those weeds.

We are fortunate to live in the neighborhood where, most of our neighbor, has dandelions in their yards. Except the 2 house on the other side of the street. It took a lot of chemical and effort to get rid of those pretty, yellow flowers. Dandelions make me smile every time I look at them. They remind me of the time when my kids were small. They would gathered as many stems of white puffy balls in their little hands, blew the big huff and puff and let the wind carry the white things as far as they can go.

I asked Matt Kernan to make Dandelion cane for me. He said, 'Wait a minute, you want me to make weeds?". Oh yes, Matt, I've been wanting the dandelion cane and I am sure he is the one who can make it for me.

Good thing Dandelions are everywhere. Matt said, "That's all I've been doing while walking the pup is looking at these darn Dandelions". He sent over the most beautiful Dandelion cane.

I made the round frame from steel wire, filled it with Ultralight clay, then slide the canes into thin pieces. I stacked up the cane slides, gave it some details. I sat in front of the oven waiting for it to cure. I open the oven door and smile.



Here is my first, my own Dandelion flowers. One that will never fade away. Pretty isn't it?









Here is the white puffy ball I made with Pardo trans clay. First I thought I will ask my Glass bead maker to make a white ball for me. That would be pretty too but this one is good enough and it won't be blown away in the wind either.





Here is the whole pendant. I made a leaf with wire and add others weed flowers as well.







I am very happy with it.



Dandelions is colorful, beautiful, abandon, persistent, resolute, determination, persevere, stubbornness, etc. It reminds me of a definition for 'Woman" and a song by Helen Reddy;



I am strong, I am invincible, I am woman.

3 comments:

Francie said...

That dandelion cane is fabulous. I have always loved dandelions too. Our yard is full of them at the moment. I love what you did with the dandelion fluff cabochon. Very cool.

Alicia said...

I love your blog! And I wish I could have your dandelions! I love them in a salad with arugula and other greens, or lightly sauteed with garlic. They are very healthy for your liver and improve blood sugar levels.

Carrie said...

I love your dandelion puff! The flower is so realistic too. Love it all!