Saturday, March 31, 2012


I don't make cane, I insist, I mean those intricate flower cane or the Kaleidoscope cane, of which, all the pattern, lines and curves are perfectly aligned, in the middle and on all sides. I was afraid, I think, of making mistake and end up with a big pile of scrap clay. Not only that, I will loose my time, 8 hours a day, when a nurse will come and take care of Ada so I can work.

One day I saw Matt Kernan's canes at Claypen Chat, and was delighted to learn that he was coming to our Guild meeting. "Bring your canes, please, I want to buy some canes from you", I told him. Matt came with a big box of canes that he made. I picked and I chose and I want them all. He was so kind, generous and didn't charge me as much, then offer to make what ever color and pattern I like. Never in my life I would dream of having my very own cane makers. Sound good, isn't it? I took the canes home, reduced them then cut the thin slides and make pillow beads. That way I can make many, many beads out of one cane.

Here are some of the beads I made. i also made some pendants from his canes. It was so much fun to work with his canes. they are so perfect as a kali cane should be. I received a lot of compliments, but all the credit should go to Matt.

I can now cross "making canes" out of my to-do list and focus on design. I have an exciting project that I am working on. Matt's special cane that he made for me is on its way here. I can't wait to get my hand on it. Stay tune, you will like it.

P.S. Here is the link to Matt Kernan's Flickr page.


Sylvia said...

They canes are lovely, but look as good as they do because of the care you take in using them. Do you know if this talented man has a website? I'm in the UK so don't have much of a hope of meeting him!

Ellie AKA Claylady43 said...